NG

Lifestyle . Fashion . Beauty . Culture

Monday 16 September 2013

New York Fashion Week S/S 2014

Firstly, I apologise that this post is a little past its sell by date, as we are already well and truly into the swing of London fashion week. To be honest I've been typing and editing snippets of this post since fashion month began but I haven't had a chance to publish it as I've been rather busy packing up ready to move into my student house. But, late or not, New York fashion week is just too great to ignore. It's time to think about summer, about the colours that you'll be wearing, about the silhouettes that will be flattering your frame, and about the bikini that you will be sashaying around in (oh I do love a good bikini to 'sashay' in before I inevitably trip up). I am still considering what coat I will be purchasing for winter, let alone considering whether to go for a bandeau or halterneck bikini. But nevertheless, as always fashion is forward thinking so it's time to meet your future wardrobe.
Here are my top five shows of New York fashion week S/S '14...

Jenny Packham


Expectations are high when you count Kate Middleton as regular clientele. Jenny Packham is acclaimed for her breathtaking ballgowns but this season Packham gave her designs a retro spin with heavy influence from the 70s. But we're not talking peace signs and bell bottoms-we're talking Packham's grown-up, glamorous take on the 70s. More Studio 54 than Abba. The colour was focused on deep sapphire, sunshine yellow, pastel blue and earthy neutrals. The hair? Big. Hairspray is your best friend. Jenny Packham, I salute you, after all isn't life always better when you're walking on the sunshine?

Kate Spade


I have a confession; at heart I am undoubtedly a prep. Give me plaid, pink and peep toes and my inner Blair Waldorf is ecstatic. So it won't come as a surprise that I adored Kate Spade's S/S '14 show in all its candy crush hued creations. As fabulous as it was varied, Spade had all bases covered from 60s style shift dresses to the ultimate in laid-back chic; a pair of jeans splattered with every hue imaginable. So who is the Kate Spade girl this season? Well aside from a mandatory top knot and a bloody good bag it's all about ladylike glamour. If you can say yes to the question 'would Audrey Hepburn/ Sophia Loren/ Grace Kelly wear it', then buy it, and buy it preferably in the brightest colour available.

Jason Wu


A sure antidote to the vivid hues of Kate Spade and the whimsical delights of Jenny Packham? Enter Jason Wu. Colour was sparse, spare navy blue and gold but the prominent palette of Wu's show was monochrome; oh no, it's going anywhere and rightly so! But Wu added a fresh spin with innocent gingham, given an edge with sharp, structured cuts and unexpected details (note the strip across the chest area on the second outfit). The Wu girl is all about modernity; sleek, practical and powerful and the hair and makeup echo this.

Victoria Beckham


No designer quite masters office dressing like Victoria Beckham, and this isn't just a white shirt and black skirt. The key silhouette of Beckham's show was the flippy, skater skirt, in all its glorious, fabulous form. The fun, not to mention ridiculously flattering, skater is juxtaposed with crisp shirts and structured jumpers. But the fun doesn't end with a flared hemline, Beckham adds a twist with intense colours to brighten up the look. And what power dresser doesn't love hot pink?

Tory Burch


Ah, Tory Burch. How I do love your oh-so-sweet S/S '14 presentation. Any show that mixes lilacs, metallics and basket of flowers is fine by me.  I don't know whether it's the florals or the sorbet shades but this show has a whimsical, ethereal quality to it. How to offset such an angelic wardrobe? Mix it up with soft, flowing sex-bomb hair and earthy 'english rose' makeup.  Make the most of tartan this season while you still can.


What were your favourite shows of S/S 2014 in New York?


NG <3

SHARE:

22 comments

  1. Great post dear!! kisses
    I follow you! I would love you to follow me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny Packham and Victoria Beckham are my favourite! Plus their surnames rhyme...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Kate Spade!! Great round up :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'll be victoria ones (: , it's so lovely and I just love it! Thanks for sharing it with us! x

    http://birdiethgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many amazing selections - I loved the minimalism of Jason Wu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is so excellently done hun...you have featured my favorites Jenny Packham, Kate Spade and Jason Wu. Loved the collections this year.Thank you for sharing your fashion verdict with me on my last post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Especially love the Kate Spade!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Especially love the Kate Spade!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This fashion week has been amazing! So many beautiful new treands :)

    hayfa
    http://londonloafers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Victoria's color scheme! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post. Oh, now I'm caught up on something I probably would have been lost in..other wise. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Victoria Beckham and Diane Von Furstenberg's collection! Elegant, feminine and chic, everything I love! The Kate Spade collection looks so cheeful and coloful, so much fun! xx

    http://ferdies-place.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great little roundup of NYFW! I am loving Jenny Packham at the mo. I saw a gorgeous long tulle coat modelled by Kristen Mcmenamy and was so tempted to blow my entire life savings on it. But then I stopped daydreaming and saw sense! :)

    My latest post ** Dumpster Design **

    Mags x

    ReplyDelete
  14. love kate spade as usuall. and I can't believe they're trying to bring back the flappy skirt in the victoria beckham collection, haha so cute, I remember wearing something like that when I was young

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jenny Packham's collection is so lovely--I think I could live in it and be extremely happy. So hard to wrap my head around SS14 as we're tailing out of summer here and finally getting excited for fall, but you're right--that's fashion :)
    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving the Kate Spade and Victoria Beckham ones most - especially because Victoria's skirts are the type of thing I'd wear haha. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely round-up. My personal favourite was Michael Kors - it was so elegant! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning round up here,all of course are beautiful collections,but for me Kate spades is just wow and my favourite! Gosh I can only imagine what it must be like to see these strutting down the catwalk first hand,to actually see the gorgeous clothes! one can dream :D
    Thanks so much for your very lovely comment on my blog :) hope your having a wonderful week x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Kate Spade and Tory Burch collections!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never heard of Tory Burch but wow I love the prints! It's definitely my favourite collection out of the ones you've listed :D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking wonderful. My favourite here is definitely Kate Spade.

    ReplyDelete

© NG

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig